Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Town's business hours?

The Town’s business hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday excluding holidays. Town offices will be closed for all state and federal holidays.

How do I get household trash and yard waste service?

Trash service is provided by the town to all residents with a water and sewer account. Trash service is every Friday, curbside by 7:00 a.m. You must purchase your own trash can(s). No trash should be placed curbside outside of a trash can. No specific trash can is required. This is for regular household trash only.

Recyclables can be taken to the Frederick County Convenience Center located at 6671 Valley Pike, Middletown, VA 22645. Large items can be disposed of at the Frederick County Landfill located at 280 Landfill Road, Winchester, VA 22602.

Yard waste is a free service provided by the town to all residents. This service is provided by the town’s Public Works Department. Yard waste is every Monday, curbside by 8:00 a.m. Yard waste guidelines are as follows.

Yard waste consists of grass trimmings and leaves which CANNOT weigh more than 40 lbs. per bag. Branches or twigs can be NO LONGER than four (4) feet in length and NO LARGER than twelve (12) inches in diameter and must be tied in bundles (no wire or plastic string).

Yard waste must be must placed in biodegradable/paper yard waste bags only, no plastic bags will be picked up. Please do not place bags out in the rain the night before pick up. Rain soaked or damaged bags that rip or tear during pick up will be the responsibility of the owner/tenant to clean up. Yard waste should not be placed curbside until the morning of collection. This helps keep our community neat and free of clutter. And ensures the bag(s) have not been compromised due to weather.

In the event a holiday falls on a Monday or the Town Government is closed, yard waste will be picked up the following day, after the holiday or closure.
If you have any questions please contact the Public Works Superintendent at (540) 869-7731.

How do I contact the Town in an emergency after hours?

In the event of a life threatening emergency call 911.  To report a non-life threatening incident, safety hazard, water main break, or suspicious activity contact Frederick County Dispatch at (540) 662-6162.

Where is the Town Office located?
7875 Church Street, Middletown, VA 22645
Where is the Middletown Police Department located?

7735 Main Street, Middletown, VA 22645
(540) 868-0535
Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please do not call the Middletown Police Department in the event of an emergency. Please call 911. In the event of a non-emergency please call Frederick County Dispatch at (540) 662-6162.

Where is the Public Works Department located?
2480 Third Street, Middletown, VA 22645
(540) 869-7731
Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
When are the regularly scheduled monthly town meetings held?
Work Session – 1st Monday of every month.
Town Council – 2nd Monday of every month.
Planning Commission – 4th Monday of every month.

All meetings are held at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers located in the town office. Please enter the Council Chambers through the rear of the building.

How do I obtain a Business License?

Please complete a New Business License application which can be found under “Forms & Permits” or by visiting the town office.

Do I need a permit for a yard sale?
If you’re planning on having a yard sale, please get your no charge yard sale permit from the Town Office. Each residence can have up to three sales per year. If you put up a sign advertising your sale, it must be free standing (on its own post) and cannot be attached to street signs or telephone poles
When are my bills due?
  • Real Estate Taxes and Personal Property Taxes are due annually on December 5th. Penalty and interest are imposed after that date.
  • Water Bills are billed bi-monthly with the bill due on the 15th of the following month they are sent out.
  • Meal and Lodging Taxes are due the 20th of the month following the month they are collected (January collections are due by February 20th).
How do I pay my bills to the Town?

In person Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., a payment drop box is located on the outside of the town office to the right of the main entrance or online.  Payment methods accepted: cash, check, money order, Visa, Mastercard, AMEX or Discover.  There is a convenience fee for debit, credit or e-check transactions.

Click here to pay online or by calling (855) 844-0226.


Are there any restrictions on swimming pools?
Please contact the Planning & Zoning Administrator at (540) 869-2226 ext. 4 for the proper guidelines and procedures.
I just moved here. How do I get the water turned on?

Complete the water & sewer application which can be found under “Forms & Permits” or by visiting the town office.  A valid photo ID is required for all applicants and the application must be completed in its entirety.  A deposit is required before services can begin.  The deposit can be paid by cash, check or money order only.

How do I report a water or sewer break?

During the business hours of 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. please call the Public Works Department at (540) 869-7731. We will need the location of the break to dispatch personnel.  Please give your name and number for a return call.  After business hours or on weekends, please contact Frederick County Dispatch at (540) 662-6162.  Remember that any and all questions pertaining to water, water meters, water leaks, trash collections or road conditions can be answered by calling (540) 869-7731.

How do I report an "out of order" streetlight?

Please call the Public Works Department at (540) 869-7731. The Town will contact Rappahannock Electrical Cooperative for repair. Please provide the following information:

  • Name
  • Contact Phone Number
  • Streetlight Address
  • Pole Number (if possible)
How do I report a pot hole in the street?

The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is responsible for all paved streets in Middletown. Contact the Public Works Department at (540) 869-7731 to pass on the information. Please give your name and number for a return call.

When do I need to call MISS Utility?
Any time you plan on digging or excavating, call MISS Utility of Virginia at (800) 552-3120 before you start. This will prevent vital and costly utilities from being damaged as a result of not knowing where utility lines are located.
What churches are located in Middletown?
Grace United Methodist Church
7882 Main Street

Mt. Olive Baptist Church
7893 Senseney Avenue

Middletown Presbyterian Church
7960 Senseney Avenue

Brookside Church
2425 First Street

What utility companies service Middletown and how do I contact them?
  • Rappahannock Electric – (800) 552-3904
  • Washington Gas – (540) 869-1111
  • Comcast Cable – (800) 226-2278.
Can I pay my bills online?
Yes – Click here to pay online or by calling (855) 844-0226.
What public schools would my children attend while living in Middletown?

Middletown Elementary, Robert E. Aylor Middle School, and Sherando High School. For more information, see Frederick County Public Schools on the Links page.

When do I vote for local government officials and where is my polling station?
Local elections are held in conjunction with General Elections in November. Middletown residents vote at the Middletown Elementary school.
Where is the Middletown Park located?

The Town Park main entrance is located at 7833 Senseney Avenue. To reserve the park shelter or other park amenities, please complete a Park Shelter Reservation Form found on the “Forms & Permits” page.