Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the Town's business hours?
A: The Town's  business hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday excluding holidays.  Town offices will be closed for all state and federal holidays.

Q: How do I get household trash and yard waste service?
A: This is a free service provided by the Town for its residents.  Businesses must contract separately for garbage collection.

  • Yard waste must be placed in approved paper bags not weighing more than 40 lbs. containing grass trimmings and leaves only. Branches and twigs must be tied in bundles (no wire or plastic string), and no longer than 4 feet in length and no larger than 2 inches in diameter. Yard waste must be placed curbside for pick up each Monday morning curbside by 7:30 a.m. during the growing season.
  • Household trash is collected curbside every Wednesday morning.  All trash must be placed in a container. 

Q: How do I contact the Town in an emergency after hours?

A: Dial 911 or contact Frederick County Dispatch (540) 662-6162 for emergencies.

Q: Where is the Town Office located?
A: At 7875 Church Street 

Q: How do I obtain a Business License?
A: Determine if you live within the Town limits with our street listing. A Middletown mailing address does not necessarily mean the business is within the Town limits. Fill out the appropriate applications and contact the Town office for additional information at (540) 869-2226 

Q:  Do I need a permit for a yard sale?
A:  If you’re planning on having a yard sale, please get your no charge yard sale permit from the Town Office.  Each residence can have up to three sales per year.  If you put up a sign advertising your sale, it must be free standing (on its own post) and cannot be attached to street signs or telephone poles

Q: When are my bills due?
A: Real Estate Taxes and Personal Property Taxes are due annually on December 5th.  Penalty and interest are imposed after that date.

B: Water Bills are billed bi-monthly with the bill due on the 15th of the following month they are sent out.

C: Meal and Lodging Taxes are due the 20th of the month following the month they are collected (January collections are due by February 20th).

Q: How do I pay my bills to the Town?
A: The Town office (540) 869-2226 is available from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday, excluding holidays. A drop box is available in the front entrance door to the Town Office. The Town accepts cash, check, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.  Payment may be made by mail to the Town of Middletown, 7875 Church Street, Middletown, VA 22645. 

Q:  Are there any restrictions on swimming pools?
A:  The following information from the Zoning Administrator (telephone 869-2226, extension 4) about swimming pools is for your guidance:

  • Pools higher than 30 inches and with over 24 inches of water must be inspected under a building permit.
  • These pools must have a barrier of 48 inches high such as a fence, unless the pool itself is 48 inches high and it has a retractable ladder which can be locked in the upward position.
  • Electricity to the pool must also be inspected under a permit and be safe for this use.

Q:  Does my lawn have to be cut to a certain height?
A:  During the growing season, grass cannot be allowed to exceed 10 inches in height.  It is a violation of the Town Code to leave grass cuttings on sidewalks or in the streets.

Q: I just moved here.  How do I get the water turned on?
A: Stop in and complete a water application at the Town Office. A deposit is required.

Q: How do I report a water or sewer break?
A: During normal working hours, call the Public Works Department at 869-7731. We will need the location of the break to dispatch personnel. Please give your name and number for a return call. After normal hours and on weekends, contact Frederick County Dispatch at (540) 662-6162.  Remember that any and all questions pertaining to water, water meters, water leaks, trash collections or road conditions can be answered by calling 869-7731.

Q: How do I report an "out of order" streetlight?
A: Please call the Public Works Department at 869-7731. The Town will contact Rappahannock Electrical Cooperative for repair. Please provide the following information:

  • Name
  • Contact Phone Number
  • Streetlight Address
  • Pole Number (if possible)

Q: How do I report a pot hole in the street?
A: The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is responsible for all paved streets in Middletown. Contact the Public Works Department at 869-7731 to pass on the information. Please give your name and number for a return call.  

Q: When do I need a building permit?

A:  A building permit is required when any building or structure is erected, reconstructed, or structurally altered, enlarged, or moved.  If in doubt, call the Zoning Administrator at 869-2226, extension 4.

Q:  When do I need to call MISS Utility?
A:  Any time you plan on digging or excavating, call MISS Utility of Virginia at 800-552-3120 before you start. This will prevent vital and costly utilities from being damaged as a result of not knowing where utility lines are located.


Q: What churches are located in Middletown?

A: Grace United Methodist Church, Mt. Olive Baptist Church, Middletown Presbyterian Church, Valley Assembly of God and First Baptist Church of Middletown.


Q: What utility companies service Middletown and how do I contact them?

A: Rappahannock Electric 800-552-3904; Washington Gas 540-869-1111; Comcast Cable 800-266-2278.


Q: Can I pay my bills online?

A: No, not at this time.


Q: What public schools would my children attend while living in Middletown?

A: Middletown Elementary, Robert E. Aylor Middle School, and Sherando High School. For more information, see Frederick County Public Schools on the Links page.


Q: When do I vote for local government officials and where is my polling station?

A: Local elections are held in conjunction with General Elections on November 6th. Middletown residents vote at the Middletown Elementary school.


Q: Where is the Middletown Park located?

A: The Town Park main entrance is located at 7833 Senseney Avenue.  To reserve the park shelter or other park amenities, please complete a Park Shelter Reservation Form found on the Documents and Forms page.